The Penfold, Treflach, Oswestry, Shropshire

(from Post Office Directory of Shropshire, 1870)

Treflach township is 3.5 miles south-west-by-south from Oswestry. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have small chapels at Treflach Wood. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel at Coed-y-go. Wood Hill Hall, the residence of George John Dumville Lees, esq., is an elegant mansion in park-like grounds, which are studded with trees of fine growth. At Treflach Wood are several extensive stone quarries; the stone is used for building purposes, and blocks of immense size are frequently raised; and in the Treflach lime works some beautiful slabs of Welsh marble are also found. The landowners are the Earl of Powis, the trustees of the late John Lees, esq., and Thomas Savin, esq. The soil is clay; subsoil, rock, &c. The chief crops are wheat, and some land is in pasturage. The area is 1,098 acres.